[okfestival-discuss] Empowerment Manifesto & OKFestival session proposal

Adrian Pohl pohl at hbz-nrw.de
Tue Mar 18 14:05:52 UTC 2014

(cc'ing okfestival-discuss list)

Hello,

during the last year we have developed a draft of a "Libraries Empowerment Manifesto". [1] Although the manifesto was created with libraries in mind, it could easily be extended to other institutions who curate cultural artifacts and share and create metadata about them.

The aim of the manifesto is to bring people and institutions together that are already embracing the principles of openness in working on tools for data production, data management and publication. The manifesto enumerates fundamental aspects of the way to communicate and get stuff done in an open, collaborative distributed environment. (See also the slides for a lightning talk I did at SWIB13. [2])

As I haven't shared the manifesto yet on this list, I would of course be happy about comments and other contributions.

I am also thinking about proposing a session at OKFest around the manifesto. Such a session could serve different aims:
- Bringing people from different institutions together who aim at implementing the principles of openness in their day-to-day work and regarding the software tools they use.
- Share knowledge about the obstacles and strategies to achieve this goal.
- Bring the manifesto into version 1.0 and officially launch it.

What do you think about this: Does it make sense to propose such a session? Would you be interested in attending it or co-facilitating it?

I am looking forward to your responses.

All the best
Adrian

[1] http://etherpad.lobid.org/p/LEM
[2] https://speakerdeck.com/lobid/the-libraries-empowerment-manifesto

Adrian Pohl
- Linked Open Data -
hbz - Hochschulbibliothekszentrum des Landes NRW
Tel: (+49)(0)221 - 400 75 235
http://www.hbz-nrw.de