[okfn-advisory] a great victory! Marco Civil approved by Br. House

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 02:17:51 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

This news makes me incredibly happy! Year and year and years of work, and
the Marco Civil was just approved by the Brazilian House of
Representatives. This is an incredible collective victory for us of
Brazilian groups who fight for an open internet for more than decade. The
first "bad" law came up on 1999 to regulate e-commerce in Brazil, I wrote a
piece on it by then. But few from the "legal" community had any experience
with internet issues. Now, there are many in Brazil and thousands of folks
in a way or another aware. Marco Civil is a high-standard benchmark for
internet regulation and to set a series of strong principles related to
human rights, due process and more. I attach the approved version in
Portuguese and happy to talk about it if any of you are interested.
There are, of course, some issues that represent scars of the political
process, but this is actually better than expected after all the
compromises we had to make.

Happy March 25th, 2014! :-)

Carol

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Becky Hogge <becky.hogge at gmail.com> wrote:

> Welcome, Carolina!
>
> On 19 March 2014 10:07, Panagiotis Bamidis <bamidis at med.auth.gr> wrote:
> > A warm welcome from the Greek Chapter too!
> > Panos
> >
> > Panagiotis D. Bamidis
> > Assist. Prof.,
> > Medical School,
> > Faculty of Health Sciences,
> > Aristotle University of Thessaloniki,
> > PO Box 376, 54124, Thessaloniki, Greece
> > --
> > tel: +30-2310-999310
> > fax: +30-2310-999702
> > mobile: +30-6972-008122
> > email: bamidis at med.auth.gr
> >

> > On 18 March 2014 15:56, Laura James <laura.james at okfn.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> All,
> >>
> >> Please welcome Carolina Rossini to the Advisory Council, representing
> Open
> >> Knowledge Foundation Brazil.
> >>
> >> Carolina has more than 13 years of experience in international law,
> >> transactions and policy, with a specific focus on internet, telecom,
> >> intellectual property and human rights. In February 2014 she joined
> Public
> >> Knowledge, where she is leading their international work. Previously
> >> Carolina was a Project Director at New America Foundation's Open
> Technology
> >> Institute, the International Intellectual Property Director at
> Electronic
> >> Frontiers Foundation (EFF), a fellow at the Berkman Center at Harvard
> >> University, and has consulted for organisations like Wikimedia
> Foundation,
> >> Freedom House, UNESCO, USAID, UNDP and more.
> >>
> >> Alongside her work as a Global Partners Digital Associate, Carolina is
> an
> >> advisory board member of Open Knowledge Foundation in Brazil and of
> Saylor
> >> Foundation in the USA. She is also a strong advocate for open access to
> >> research, open data in government and science and open educational
> >> resources, and has founded and lead the Open Educational Resources
> Project
> >> in Brazil with concrete legislative and policy change results already in
> >> place and grants from the Open Society Foundation.
> >>
> >> She is a Brazilian lawyer and before moving to the US about 7 years ago,
> >> she worked at the Center for Technology and Society at FGV-Rio and as a
> >> transactions attorney for Telefonica's ISP in Brazil, Terra. She has an
> >> LL.M. on IP from Boston University (US), an MBA from Instituto de
> Empresas
> >> (Spain), an MA in International Economic Negotiations from UNICAMP/UNESP
> >> (Brazil), and a JD from USP (Brazil).
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Laura
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Dr Laura James
> >>
> >> CEO  | skype: laura.james  |  @LaurieJ
> >>
> >> Open Knowledge Foundation
> >>
> >> See how data can change the world
> >>
> >> http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn  |  Facebook  |  Blog

*Carolina Rossini*
*Project Director, Latin America Resource Center*
Open Technology Institute
*New America Foundation*
//
http://carolinarossini.net/