[okfn-advisory] Update on ED Recruitment

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 10 08:27:12 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 6:12 AM, Brian Behlendorf <brian at behlendorf.com>
wrote:

> I see no need for the advisory board to be told who the finalists are.

I'd agree.

However this reflects, in large part, the peripheral nature of the Advisory
Board (something I have banged on about over 10 years). We are never
formally consulted on anything, never have meetings and our participation
is largely non-existent and at best ad hoc.

It would have been more reasonable to have approached the AB with a request
to have a member on the selection committee. Then we would have felt
involved in some way.

For example I am still concerned that everyone in OK except the advisory
board seems to have been able to read a copy of Morris' report on OK while
we are told we are not to be trusted with it.

I would hope that when an ED is appointed they would tackle the role of the
AB and decide whether it is a proper organ of the organization, with input
to key decisions.

> The candidates' needs for privacy (giving notice at current employers, for
> instance) and the OKF's need to manage the confidentiality of negotiations
> would seem to outweigh the advisory value we could provide on those
> candidates and topics at this time.
>
> Brian
>

> On April 9, 2015 8:18:42 PM PDT, Carolina Rossini <
> carolina.rossini at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> can you share the top 3 candidates?
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 4:53 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> As you will all know we have been in the process of recruiting a new
>>> Executive Director / CEO starting last November.
>>>
>>> Whilst we haven't yet quite finalized I wanted to update everyone that
>>> we are now *very* close and I hope we will have a proper announcement just
>>> as soon as something is confirmed and we are therefore in a position to
>>> inform people here.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Rufus
>>> --