[okfn-advisory] Advising Open Knowledge in 2015

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Jan 28 11:43:29 UTC 2015

I am responding quickly on the specific item around the report.

Sharing has been delayed because of discussion with funder about the report
and especially its final version and overall sharing process. Since this is
not fully resolved and ultimately requires Board level sign-off on final
steps (which has not happened) this has been delayed.

I would also acknowledge that progress on resolving those items has not
always been a top priority given the press of other very important things
to do.

I would really like to be sharing this with you all but I am also mindful
that this is not completely straightforward and that this is not my (or
other team members) sole decision to make.

Rufus

On 28 January 2015 at 11:38, Daniel Dietrich <daniel.dietrich at okfn.org>
wrote:

> I couldn't agree more with what Peter just said. I still have not seen
> Morris Lipson's report although I have asked for it several times
> (Management team have only shared the section about Germany with us so
> far). Could the management team (witch is Rufus at the moment I guess)
> please share the full report with us? Many thanks!
>
> All best
> Daniel
>
> --
> Daniel Dietrich, co-founder & chairman
> Open Knowledge Foundation Germany
> www.okfn.de | info at okfn.de | @okfde
> Office: +49 30 57703666 0 | Fax: - 9
> Mobile: +49 176 32768530
>

> > On 28 Jan 2015, at 12:23, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I've been on the Advisory Council since OKF started (10+ years). I've
> been proud to have this position and have promoted it and the OKF.
> >
> > The OKF needs an AC. However I have been disappointed that there is no
> structure or activity or role for the AC.  It has much in common with
> Editorial Boards of journals where often the sole role is to parade the
> great-and-good to convince people how wonderful the journal is. When that
> happens I (a) create a fuss (b) resign publicly.
> >
> > The role of the AC is to be proactively asked for advice, and to be
> listened to on a very regular basis.  It may also be required to help with
> unexpected issues (both positive and negative). Although it may only be
> advisory it should be taken seriously.
> >
> > In my ten years I have only met as advisory council  at OKFests where I
> happened to be present. Berlin (which was very good), Helsinki, a dinner
> run by Laura at Geneva. But these were random.
> >
> > Over the last 5 years there has been massive growth in OKF and the
> council has not been consulted. I would have regarded the following as
> mandatory for a AC:
> > * change of name and logo. In my view these have been a disaster but I
> have not been given the formal chance to comment
> > * Morris Lipson's report. This is probably the most in-depth assessment
> of the OKF (I cannot write OK as it's ridiculous). I was interviewed and
> felt it was extremely constructive but have had zero feedback. If there is
> any single activity the AC should have been involved in it is helping to
> plan the future of OKF. We knew by hearsay that there was a report - that's
> all, but that we weren't considered  responsible/useful enough to know
> anything about it. Yes it may have had sensitive parts, but we are
> experienced people and can deal with such matters.
> >
> > Effectively - at present - the AC is irrelevant to OKF, except as a list
> of great-and-good.
> >
> > So if it is to go forward it has to be rearchitected properly. A bit of
> sticking plaster will only lead to the same problems.
> >
> > ***I would suggest that these views go to the Board - as it's their
> responsibility for what the AC does or does not get involved in.***
> >
> > At the very least a new AC would have a timetable, regular formal
> [...]

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.