[okfn-advisory] Open Knowledge International Advisory Council - reaching out

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 9 14:15:39 UTC 2018

Thanks Naomi,
Useful information.

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 1:54 PM, Naomi Lillie <naomi.lillie at okfn.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Thank you for following up.
>
> To reiterate, the call at 13.00 BST on Wednesday (link to meeting tool
> here <https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/169193101>) is to introduce the
> new Leadership team and establish interaction with the Advisory Council
> going forward.

Can  we agree on the name? We were Advisory Board but are now going to be
Advisory Council. [YES?]
And are the terms and role for the Advisory Council established [WHERE?] or
are we expected to discuss them? [YES?]
Is there a list of current members of the Advisory Council [WHERE?] and are
we expected to revisit  this on Wednesday [YES?]

> Please find the brief overview attached and at this link:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N5Mz6SjJT08s5_
> LA2sE1gdYNbGnJTQ6aOAcKMAmKGRw/. This includes a few lines on the Board,
> Leadership inc Rufus's involvement, team and topic focal areas. It will of
> course be insufficient for detail, but hopefully gives a flavour of the
> organisation as a whole.

Board: I don't know Karin, but I know Helen Turvey and Tim Hubbard
extremely well and they are absolutely top class. Indeed that is a
motivation for me to continue working with OKF/I.

On the main aspects of current OKF I can personally relate to Frictionless
Data and School of Data which are important to me (I know little about
Fiscal).

What I think has disappeared (and this is a feature of  project driven
organisations) is a Core. I have been involved with

 * Open Definition: which certainly used to be really valuable as it was
able to remove examples of Openwashing. I think it's critical to
continually push back against the misuse of "Open" - I get publicly
insulted by Elsevier because I challenge their use of "Open".
* Panton (Principles and Fellows) which made a significant contribution to
protecting data against pwning.
* Open Science.
* Open Access.

But it seems as if OKF is less able to defend Open against the world.

Where is CKAN? as a standard? and as an organization (Viderum -
https://www.viderum.com/about/)
What is the nature of the relationship between Open Knowledge International
and Viderum?

Open Knowledge is a worldwide non-profit network of people passionate about
openness, using advocacy, technology and training to unlock information and
enable people to work with it to create and share knowledge. Viderum is a
commercial subsidiary of Open Knowledge (i.e. it is owned by Open
Knowledge) that provides products and services for open data publishing.
Viderum takes on many of the commercial-oriented projects such as building
custom open data portals that Open Knowledge has taken on in the past.
Surpluses generated by Viderum will flow back into Open Knowledge to fund
their non-profit work.
PMR> Is the spinoff working? organizationally and/or financially?

And I miss the fun of meetings in Cambridge, London, Helsinki, Berlin, etc.
I know organisations grow mature and stop having fun, but it doesn't have
to be.

P.

> --
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069