[okfn-announce] Open Knowledge Foundation Newsletter No. 5

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Jan 25 16:00:30 UTC 2008

Welcome to the fifth Open Knowledge Foundation newsletter.

Contents:

   * New legal options for making data open
   * Response to Library of Congress report
   * Open Environmental Data project
   * Talk at the first COMMUNIA workshop
   * Other news in brief
   * Support the Open Knowledge Foundation!
   * Further information

NEW LEGAL OPTIONS FOR MAKING DATA OPEN
======================================

In December Science Commons announced the 'Protocol for Implementing
Open Access Data'. Jordan Hatcher simultaneously launched the 'Public
Domain Dedication & License (PDDL)'. Both were developed with input and
feedback from the Open Knowledge Foundation to ensure compliance with
the Open Knowledge Defition (opendefinition.org).

A beta of a new Creative Commons license for data, CCZero, has also just
been released.

'Good news for open data: Protocol for Implementing Open Access Data,
Open Data Commons PDDL and CCZero'
<http://blog.okfn.org/2007/12/17/good-news-for-open-data-protocol-for-implementing-open-access-data-open-data-commons-pddl-and-cczero/>

Protocol for Implementing Open Access Data
<http://sciencecommons.org/projects/publishing/open-access-data-protocol/>

ODC Public Domain Dedication and Licence
<http://www.opendatacommons.org/odc-public-domain-dedication-and-licence/>

CCZero <http://labs.creativecommons.org/license/zero>

RESPONSE TO LIBRARY OF CONGRESS REPORT
======================================

The OKF responded to the Library of Congress report on the 'Future of
Bibilographic Control' making the case that they should promote open
licensing for bibliographic metadata. Over 150 groups and individuals
co-signed the response, including Lawrence Lessig, Brewster Kahle and
Tim O’Reilly.

Response to ‘The Future of Bibliographic Control’ draft from the Library
of Congress
<http://blog.okfn.org/2007/12/19/response-to-the-future-of-bibliographic-control-draft-from-the-library-of-congress/>

Response and signatories <http://okfn.org/wiki/FutureOfBibliographicControl>

OPEN ENVIRONMENTAL DATA PROJECT
===============================

The Open Environmental Data project aims to document public domain and
other freely reusable environmental datasets. In addition to registering
packages of data on CKAN, we'd like to provide an overview of relevant
research organisations, data distributors and free/open source software,
as well as summarising law and policies specifically pertaining to
environmental data.

Open Environmental Data <http://okfn.org/wiki/OpenEnvironmentalData>

'The IPCC Data Distribution Centre - environmental data licensing'
<http://blog.okfn.org/2007/11/20/the-ipcc-data-distribution-centre-environmental-data-licensing/>

TALK AT THE FIRST COMMUNIA WORKSHOP
===================================

COMMUNIA, the new 'European Thematic Network on the Digital Public
Domain' had their first workshop in January. The OKF suggested COMMUNIA
members work together to to create a set of 'public domain calculators'
and to pool open metadata - whether for artistic works or databases.

First COMMUNIA Workshop - “Technology and the Public Domain”
<http://blog.okfn.org/2008/01/25/first-communia-workshop-technology-and-the-public-domain/>

Open Knowledge: Promises and Challenges
<http://m.okfn.org/files/talks/communia_20080118/>

OTHER NEWS IN BRIEF
===================

   - Cofundos project is launched for 'community innovation and funding'
<http://blog.okfn.org/2007/10/26/cofundos-community-innovation-and-funding/>

   - Eduserv study on open content licensing in cultural heritage sector
published
<http://blog.okfn.org/2007/11/16/eduserv-study-on-open-content-licensing-in-cultural-heritage-sector-published/>

   - UK Government start to develop PSI Reuse Request Service
<http://blog.okfn.org/2008/01/15/meeting-on-uk-public-sector-information-re-use-request-service/>

   - Free Knowledge Institute is launched
<http://blog.okfn.org/2008/01/16/free-knowledge-institute-is-launched/>

SUPPORT THE OPEN KNOWLEDGE FOUNDATION!
======================================

A donation to the Open Knowledge Foundation would greatly help us with
our overhead costs, including hosting (currently around £1000/year) and
project development. To find out more about supporting our work, please
visit:

    http://www.okfn.org/support

FURTHER INFORMATION

If you would like to know more about what we are up to, please take a
look at our active projects page.

    http://www.okfn.org/projects/

If you are interested in participating in any of the OKF's projects,
please see our participate page, or join the OKF discuss list.

    http://www.okfn.org/participate/