[okfn-announce] Open Knowledge Foundation Newsletter No. 6

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed May 28 19:10:56 UTC 2008

Welcome to the sixth Open Knowledge Foundation newsletter!

Contents:

   * OKCon 2008 / launch of the Public Domain Dedication & License (PDDL)
   * CKAN is still growing!
   * Launch of Open Knowledge Definition Advisory Council
   * New translations of the Open Knowledge Definition
   * First Open Visualisation Workshop
   * Open Knowledge Local Groups
   * Open Knowledge buttons on MusicBrainz, omdb, Archive.org and others
   * Other news in brief
   * Thanks to our volunteers!
   * Support the Open Knowledge Foundation
   * Further information

OKCON 2008 / LAUNCH OF THE PUBLIC DOMAIN DEDICATION & LICENSE (PDDL)

This year's annual Open Knowledge Conference, OKCon 2008, took place on
15th March at London School of Economics. The event brought together
individuals and groups from across the open knowledge spectrum for a day
of seminars and workshops. Speakers included:

  - Gavin Starks (AMEE and dgen)
  - Tom Steinberg (MySociety)
  - Dr Muki Haklay (Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic
Engineering, University College London)
  - Liz Turner (Freelance Designer and Visualizer Extraordinaire)
  - Gael Varoquaux (Mayavi2 - the next Generation Visualization Toolkit)
  - Martin Albrecht (SAGE the Open Source Mathematics Engine)
  - Erik Duval (ARIADNE)
  - Lisa Petrides (OER Commons)
  - Dr Martin Brett (Cambridge University History Department and the Ivo
Project)

Jordan Hatcher also launched the Public Domain Dedication & License
(PDDL) at the event - a legal tool to make data open, specifically
taking into account rights in data such as the European Database Directive.

Audio, images and slides are available at the Post-Event Information page.

OKCon 2008: Post-Event Information
http://okfn.org/okcon/2008/after

'Public Domain Dedication & License (PDDL) v.1.0 released at OKCon!'
http://blog.okfn.org/2008/03/18/public-domain-dedication-license-pddl-v10-released-at-okcon/

CKAN IS STILL GROWING!
======================

The Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network (CKAN), a registry of open
knowledge packages 'from genes to geodata, sonnets to statistics' is
still continuing to grow! Thanks to user contributions, there are now
over 180 packages registered.

In March we organised a virtual 'Package Party' - which saw quite a few
new packages being added. In April CKAN had a flurry of attention in the
blogosphere after a Brett Taylor initiated a discussion on the need for
a resource for open data.

If you come across a large open dataset, or a substantial collection of
open texts, images or other content, please consider registering it on CKAN!

CKAN
http://ckan.net/

'Open Data Going Mainstream?'
http://blog.okfn.org/2008/04/10/open-data-going-mainstream/

LAUNCH OF OPEN KNOWLEDGE DEFINITION ADVISORY COUNCIL

In February we launched an Advisory Council for opendefinition.org. The
Council is formally responsible for maintaining and developing the
Definitions and associated material found on the Open Definition site -
including the Open Knowledge Definition and the Open Service Definition.
As you probably know, these definitions aim to provide clear and
succinct sets of conditions for ‘openness’ in knowledge and services.

Jordan Hatcher of opencontentlawyer.com has kindly agreed to be Chair of
the Council, which includes:

  - Paul Jacobson, iCommons
  - Paul Miller, Talis
  - Peter Murray-Rust, Cambridge University
  - Rufus Pollock, Open Knowledge Foundation & Cambridge University
  - Rob Styles, Talis
  - Peter Suber, Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition
(SPARC) & Earlham College
  - Luis Villa, Columbia Law School, GNOME Foundation & Open Source
Initiative
  - Jo Walsh, Open Knowledge Foundation & Open Source Geo-Spatial Foundation
  - John Wilbanks, Science Commons

'Open Definition Advisory Council launched'
http://blog.okfn.org/2008/02/15/open-definition-advisory-council-launched/

Advisory Council
http://opendefinition.org/advisory-council

NEW TRANSLATIONS OF THE OPEN KNOWLEDGE DEFINITION

Over the last few months we've added several new translations of the
Open Knowledge Definition (OKD). These include Danish, Polish, Catalan,
Spanish and Basque versions. Many thanks to Peter Froberg, Jarosław
LIpszyc, Ignasi Labastida i Juan and Gotzon Egia for these!

The OKD is now available in 8 languages. If you would like to help out
translating the Definition into another language - or you know of
someone who might be interested in doing so - please get in touch!

Open Knowledge Definition
http://www.opendefinition.org/

FIRST OPEN VISUALISATION WORKSHOP
=================================

The Open Knowledge Foundation is organising a series of informal,
hands-on workshop for those who work with, or are interested in,
open-source visualisation technologies, whether based on the web or on
the desktop, whether for data or other kinds of knowledge.

The first Open Visualisation Workshop took place at Trampoline Systems
in London. There were talks and demos from:

  - Martin Dittus, last.fm
  - Julie Tolmie, Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King’s College
London
  - Jan Berkel, Trampoline Systems
  - Jonathan Lister, Osmosoft
  - Gregory Jordan, European Bioinformatics Institute
  - David Aanensen, Division of Epidemiology, Public Health and Primary
Care, Imperial College London
  - Jonathan Gray, The Open Knowledge Foundation

The workshops will take place regularly in London. If you are interested
in taking part please add your name to the wiki page and join the
mailing list.

'After the first Open Visualisation Workshop'
http://blog.okfn.org/2008/05/26/after-the-first-open-visualisation-workshop/

First Open Visualisation Workshop
http://okfn.org/wiki/OpenVisualisation/Workshop/1

Open Visualisation Workshops
http://okfn.org/wiki/OpenVisualisation/Workshop

OPEN KNOWLEDGE LOCAL GROUPS
===========================

While there's been an Open Knowledge Group in Cambridge for a while -
the last few months have seen new local groups forming in London and
Oxford. The first London Meetup took place last month at the London
Knowledge Lab and already has several projects planned in addition to
regular meetings! The Oxford group is looking to organise an event in
the next few months.

If you'd like to get involved in any of these Groups, or you'd like to
start a new one in your area, please get in touch on the relevant
mailing lists!

Open Knowledge Local Groups
http://okfn.org/wiki/LocalGroups/

OPEN KNOWLEDGE BUTTONS ON MUSICBRAINZ, OMDB, ARCHIVE.ORG, AND OTHERS!

Our Open Knowledge, Open Content, and Open Data buttons advertise that a
given resource is open in accordance with the Open Knowledge Definition.
New adopters from the past few months include MusicBrainz, omdb, and the
Prelinger Archives at Archive.org, among others!

If you manage or publish a resource which is open as in the OKD, please
consider displaying one of the web buttons so that others know they are
free to re-distribute, modify and build on it!

Open Knowledge and Open Data Web Buttons
http://www.opendefinition.org/buttons

OTHER NEWS IN BRIEF
===================

   - CKAN now in version 0.5.
http://blog.okfn.org/2008/02/01/ckan-05-released/

   - Over 1000 academics sign statement in support of Open Textbooks
http://blog.okfn.org/2008/04/16/open-textbooks-statement-to-make-textbooks-affordable/

   - Meeting of COST A32 group: Open scholarly communities on the web
http://blog.okfn.org/2008/04/24/open-scholarly-communities-on-the-web/

   - SPARC Europe Seal for Open Access Journals
http://blog.okfn.org/2008/04/25/sparc-europe-seal-for-open-access-journals/

THANKS TO OKF VOLUNTEERS!
=========================

As usual, many thanks to our volunteers and to our extended virtual
community for their help with our projects and activities! Particular
thanks go to J-P Stacey, for his assistance at OKCon 2008, and to Iain
Emsley, for his work on Open Shakespeare and Open Milton!

SUPPORT THE OPEN KNOWLEDGE FOUNDATION
=====================================

A donation to the Open Knowledge Foundation would greatly help us with
our overhead costs, including hosting (currently around £1000/year) and
project development. To find out more about supporting our work, please
visit:

     http://www.okfn.org/support

FURTHER INFORMATION

If you would like to know more about what we are up to, please take a
look at our active projects page.

     http://www.okfn.org/projects/

If you are interested in participating in any of the OKF's projects,
please see our participate page, or join the OKF discuss list.

     http://www.okfn.org/participate/