[okfn-ar] REMINDER: Call for applications » SMART Data Sprint 2019

Smart Inovamedialab smart.inovamedialab at fcsh.unl.pt
Fri Nov 23 13:04:37 UTC 2018

Digital Media Winter Institute 2019 | iNova Media Lab

SMART Data Sprint: Beyond visible engagement

28 January - 1 February 2019 I  9:30 - 17:30

Universidade NOVA de Lisboa

Lisbon, Portugal

We are pleased to invite you to SMART Data Sprint
<https://smart.inovamedialab.org/> 2019.

SMART Data Sprint is an intensive hands-on work, driven by online data and
digital methods. For one week participants will have the chance to attend
to keynote lectures, short talks, and parallel sessions of practical labs.
After that, experts and scholars will invite participants to join projects
and work in a collective problem.

We are pleased to announce that our keynote speaker is Richard Rogers
(University
of Amsterdam), the director of Digital Methods Initiative and the
author of Digital
Methods (MIT Press, 2013). An International team of senior researchers,
including Richard Rogers, and several doctoral researchers will also be
leading Short Talks and Practical Labs*. We also welcome Bernhard Rieder,
associate professor in New Media and Digital Culture at the University of
Amsterdam, with the masterclass "From Algorithms to Diagrams: How to Study
Platforms?", and a practical lab on machine learning techniques.

This year, the practical labs will contemplate the following themes:

» Query Design

» Data Extraction Tools

» Querying App Stores

» Network Analysis with Gephi

» Image Networks

» YouTube Data Analysis

» Text Analysis with Antconc and Voyant Tools

» Raw Graphs

» Visual content analysis with Image Plot

» Extracting and analysing data with NodeXL Pro

» Hybrid Classification: Combining Grounded Theory and Machine Learning

Deadline for applications: 13 January 2019

For further information, please access the link
http://inovamedialab.org/winter-institute-2019

Learn more about the data sprint approach in this video: #SMARTDataSprint
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bveMpEtAvug&index=1&list=PLcGiWiKtsR0_BTLB4t_WH0iod-hXtX0eU>

On behalf of the co-organizers, Janna Joceli Omena, Elsa Caetano and Ana
Marta Flores.

Best regards,

Cristian Ruiz