[OKFN-AU] Melbourne Meetups for 2013

David F. Flanders david.flanders at ands.org.au
Wed Dec 5 23:40:02 UTC 2012

Hi Kat,

I just took some notes[1] which I'll write a blog post on soon.  We had
some great ideas/activities for meetups next year.  We are going to kick
off in the New Year with a bang, by creating a printable map of cycle paths
in Melbourne CBD (we had an OpenStreetMap guru along), which will be a
great advertisement for the group as well to get people along to our
monthly meetups on the 5th day of each month.

We think this base printable map is also a great opportunity to produce
other future maps of Melbourne, e.g. historical walking paths, etc.

Our map meetup will be all day Saturday January 5th - hopefully we can
crowd design the map with the data we have and have it ready for printing
just in time for all those New Year resolutions to cycle to work :)

More soon.  In short, it was a great focused meetup with about ten of us
that I am confident will grow because the ideas put forward show that there
is a hunger for getting groups of people together to do exciting open
things around open knowledge.

[1]= the use of the OKFN etherpad was a great tool for taking notes:
http://okfnpad.org/melbourne

Kind Regards,

David F. Flanders