[@OKFNau] Central ckan or other repository for Aus data?

Craig Thomler craig.thomler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 22:39:52 UTC 2013

Hi Steve,

Worth considering also including all the data from Australian state &
fed government open data sites - just in case a future or current
government chooses to cease making data available due to either political
decision or budget cuts.

Case in point the US shutdown, where data.gov was taken offline for several
weeks.

That type of break in service makes open data quite risky for commercial
use.

Cheers,

Craig

On Saturday, December 21, 2013, Steven De Costa wrote:

> I might be able to setup and support one for community data publishers and
> use the same build we have setup for data.gov.au.
>
> I'd just need to work out the real costs so that I know that it could
> scale with perhaps support from other sponsors. I'll talk with Alex Sadleir
> and look into it further.
>
> Gotta do a short holiday first :)
>
> On Friday, December 20, 2013, Nick Evershed wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been doing a fair bit of work recently to convert federal politician
>> expense PDFs into nice, machine-readable formats. I was wanting to make the
>> data more accessible, so was wondering what the best way might be to do
>> this. Can you submit data to data.gov.au if you're not actually in a
>> government department? Is there a similar central respository for aus data?
>> If not, are there any plans for one?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Nick E.
>>

> --
> *STEVEN DE COSTA *|
> *EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR *www.linkdigital.com.au

Craig Thomler

http://egovau.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/CraigThomler
http://au.linkedin.com/in/craigthomler
http://www.slideshare.net/CraigThomler
<http://www.slideshare.net/CraigThomler%20>

*Mobile:* 0411 780 194 (*International:* +61 411 780 194)
*Phone:* 02 6254 4781 (*International: *+61 2 6254 4781)
*Skype:* craig.thomler