[OKFN-AU] Introduction / Open Local / FixMyStreet Australia

Andrew Perry andrew.perry at foclaw.org
Sun Jan 27 11:17:40 UTC 2013

Hi all

Looking forward to everything that will come out of linux.conf.au over
the coming days and in particular the Open Government mini-conf - wish I
could make it!

I am a lawyer who has been using and promoting Open Source software for
the past 15+ years and participated in various Open Government
initiatives for the last 3-4.  I have founded an organisation, Community
Builders Australia, that primarily assists non-profits with the
implementation of open source CMS/CRM/DMS (Drupal/CiviCRM/Alfresco) but
has also been developing a database of Australian Federal and State
politicians for use by NFPs in their lobbying activities and we're also
developing a "Where to Vote" mobile app to help people find their local
polling booths and find out more about the candidates.

I have a blog post at www.foclaw.org.au that outlines my philosophy of
"Sustainable Sharing".

Last year I decided it was time to deliver on some of the things that we
have been working on and talking to stakeholders about, so Open Local
<http://www.openlocal.org.au> was born.

Yesterday, to celebrate Australia Day, Open Local launched FixMyStreet
Australia at http://nsw.fixmystreet.org.au

As the domain name suggests, FixMyStreet is currently servicing NSW,
with Victoria (and other States) to come online next month.

As part of implementing FixMyStreet, Open Local has also implemented a
MapIt server that lets you browse various areas covering the nation
including ABS Commonwealth Electoral Divisions, State Electoral
Divisions and Local Government Areas: Type in your postcode in the form
of http://mapit.openlocal.org.au/areas/pc6000.html for 6000, click on
the result and you can see what I mean.  You can then see what other
areas cover or overlap it using the navigation on the page.

We plan to build on it to make other ABS information more readily
available and actionable.

I am particularly interested in the policy and practicalities of open
source / open data / open government models.

I look forward to participating in the group.

If you are in NSW, please post any issues in your street on FixMyStreet
and let us know how you go getting a response from your Council.

Regards

Andrew

*
*free open creative law

*P*  1300 855 078
*M*  0413 045 300
*F*  02 8090 3699

*An initiative of legal.consult pty ltd
*ABN 84 002 413 078
www.legalconsult.com.au <http://www.legalconsult.com.au>

*Sydney*
Level 31
Aurora Place
88 Phillip Street
SYDNEY  NSW  2000

*Parramatta*
Level 2
96 Phillip Street
PARRAMATTA  NSW  2150

This e-mail may be confidential and/or privileged. Only the intended
recipient may access or use it. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify us immediately and delete this e-mail.  To the full extent
permitted by law we exclude all liability for viruses or similar
malicious content in any e-mail.  Liability limited by a scheme approved
under Professional Standards Legislation.