[@OKFNau] non government open data? (and diversity as a side issue)

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 02:33:51 UTC 2013

Open data by businesses can be adventageous as outlined in this Deloitte
report
http://www.deloitte.com/assets/dcom-unitedkingdom/local%20assets/documents/market%20insights/deloitte%20analytics/uk-insights-deloitte-analytics-open-data-june-2012.pdf
I know Coca Cola are having hackathons in Sydney in mid November around
their supply chain data http://www.sydneyfirehose.com/

Specifically about diversity data, there is some low hanging fruit for this
community to make it easier to access the data.
The raw government boards data is available under a CC-BY licence but would
require scraping from http://www.ausgovboards.gov.au/boards

There are mandatory equality surveys of all businesses with more than 100
employees that are online and openly licenced at http://search.wgea.gov.au/
The numerical data is in tables in (a standard template) word format but
someone could write a parser! Converting the documents into a more
structured format could also allow someone to make a crowdsourcing app to
evaluate the written sections based on criteria. OKFN have a platform for
quickly and easily making crowdsourcing applications
http://blog.okfn.org/2012/06/08/introducing-pybossa-the-open-source-micro-tasking-platform/