[@OKFNau] Open Data Index 2014

Rosie Williams budgetaus at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 25 09:18:29 UTC 2014

Thanks for your feedback on this Steve-very insightful :-)

Rosie Williams BA (Sociology)________________________________________

 NoFibs.com.au - Open Data Reporter InfoAus.net - Founder and Developer

From: stevage at gmail.com
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 18:16:12 +1100
To: okfn-au at lists.okfn.org
Subject: Re: [@OKFNau] Open Data Index 2014

Hi Paul,  Thanks for bringing this up. IMOH, the mix of datasets that make up the index could be improved. The census tries to cover both transparency (open government) and utility/service data, which makes a weird mix.
* National map: a single shapefile - how does this make the top 10 important datasets, in a world of OpenStreetMap? Seems a bit ridiculous.* Government Budget: hooray for Pia!* Election Results: a worthy inclusion, and genuinely reflects well on Australia* National Statistics: a service-oriented dataset, useful but hard to define. The ABS data is notoriously hard to work with directly, which is why companies like id.com.au exist as resellers. Still, the fact that the ABS provides (almost?) all of their data free of charge is worth celebrating.* Postcodes: seems out of place in the top 10 (perhaps related to a previous fight in the UK for this data). Street addresses would be far more useful, and are the #1 and #2 most requested datasets on data.gov.au: https://datagovau.ideascale.com/a/index* Government spending: Ok. Would be great to have political donations in the list.* Company register: I'm ambivalent. Is it so important?* Pollutant emissions: A couple of environmental contacts have been pretty skeptical of the value of NPI data, but good I guess.* Transport Timetables: This is a weird category to have in a national census, and I feel like Australia is getting points a bit too easily here. Countries like France or Germany have nationalised (and internationally-connected) systems with the time of every train leaving at any of thousands of stations around the country - and it's all available online. We have a bunch of different websites for every different "national" train line with its own independent way of presenting non-machine-readable data (some of which seems to be offline: http://www.queenslandrailtravel.com.au/RailServices/Pages/TheInlander-Westboundtimetable.aspx, http://www.thegulflander.com.au/) - and we still get 45%? There's not even a centralised dataset to speak of, it's just a bunch of independent companies that happen to provide similar information, in non-standardised ways.* Legislation: a worthy inclusion, but it seems a bit arbitrary to include Legislation, but not parliamentary debate (Hansard) or court proceedings (AustLII).
Steve