[@OKFNau] GeoJSON data format

Jack Golding jackgolding at live.com.au
Sat Feb 1 16:16:37 UTC 2014

Hi Mark (and everyone else as this is my first email!),
I have used GeoJSON data with D3.js attempting to visualize respondents to surveys (I work in market research) and for a university project with Thales.
I wouldn't bother looking for geoJSON files, I couldn't find any for anything other than the outline of Australia. Try getting KML/Shape files and converting them with https://github.com/mapbox/togeojson (disclaimer: only just googled this), use http://ogre.adc4gis.com/ (had a bit of trouble with this) or load the file in QGIS and export layer as GeoJSON (think that is what I did.)
I have only had struggles with this standard, unfortunately due to it not being used enough - even though I can code I don't get to do mapping enough so when I do it is always get the data I want from ABS, crop it with QGIS, use VBA to read my table into a KML file, attach the QGIS layer, view in Google maps and take a screenshot.
I hope this was helpful and not just rambling!
Cheers,
Jack