[@OKFNau] Introduction -- Simon Cropper (sorry for cross-posting if you are on the main okfn.org list)

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Thu Jun 19 03:52:30 UTC 2014

Rosie,

The food nutrition data is curated by Food Standards Australia and New
Zealand.

Two data sets of note exist: NUTTAB 2010 and AUSNUT 2011-2013.

The information has been released under a CC-BY-SA++ license -- not
really a suitable license for open data but the intent by FSANZ is
clear. I am still trying to clarify the '++' component.

 From what I am told all the foods found in NUTTAB 2010 are found in the
AUSNUT 2011-2013 dataset plus some more. The latter dataset also
includes additional data and omits stuff included in the previous 2010
assessment. There will be a need to merge and standardize the data
before any real analysis can start.

The NUTTAB 2010 data is here...
http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/science/monitoringnutrients/nutrientables/Pages/default.aspx

The AUSNUT 2011-2013 data is here...
http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/science/monitoringnutrients/ausnut/pages/default.aspx

Once I have clarified the legal status of the datasets and the
flow-on-effects for any derivatives I will post some details on this list.

My intent is to start a project using this data. Probably hosted on
GitHub, where all and sundry can be involved. The datasets, licenses,
derived merged datasets and various analysis will be posted there.
Anyone interested in participating is welcome to become involved.