[@OKFNau] BudgetAus going open source

Ryan Cross ryanecross at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 00:44:09 UTC 2014

Hi Rosie,

yep, I’m a php’er.

I think its a great idea to take the opportunity to learn from other people
by open sourcing the code. Even for more experienced developers, it is a
VERY common concern that your work “isn’t up to standards” or “needs more
polish before public viewing” but don’t let that dissuade or delay you. My
biggest piece of advice would be to simply put it out there as is, and make
your improvements in the public arena. The vast majority of people will
simply applaud your efforts and offer some help - nobody was born with
perfect coding skills. Anyone who is judgemental or otherwise negative
towards your efforts will likely be rare and there is a very common
response to them - “patches are welcome” - which you may word differently,
but the point being that critiques of your code are welcome but are
contributes that improve it are what helps.

The only things you need to do before releasing the code are:
1) be comfortable with the license you choose, since sometimes it can be
hard to change that, but at the end of the day its 100% your copyright
(until you accept/incorporate other people’s contributions)
2) Remove any hard-coded passwords/keys/etc from your code. If it doubt,
just remove it - you can always add it back to the public code later.

release early, release often. :-)