[@OKFNau] federal electorate by postcode

Grahame Bowland grahame at angrygoats.net
Thu Mar 20 14:17:49 UTC 2014

Hey Rosie

I've done this myself, the trick is to make sure you do a population based
intersection of the postcodes with the electoral boundaries, not an area
intersection. My approach was to find the ABS SA1s were in each electorate
for each postcode, and then map the postcode to the electorate which had
the greatest population in the SA1s (just ABS code B3).

If you do it by area you'll get problems like big parks with almost no
population that skew things out; for example Kings Park in Perth stuffs up
the mapping for 6000.

Tool used was something I wrote myself, http://ealgis.org/ - you can load
in the census (which includes a pretty good approximation of the
postcodes), then it's just a few commands a tiny bit of SQL to get the
answer. Happy to share off-list if you'd like.

Grahame