[@OKau] change to event planning

Rosie Williams budgetaus at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:34:20 UTC 2015

Hi Fiona & Cobi,
Thanks for the feedback. It's probably a useful (at least to me) to elaborate on what makes open data projects valuable, sustainable and possible. It is these considerations that are governing the approach to project planning I'm developing. In this regard, the events are just a means to an end rather than an end in itself.
Value can mean the value to the person creating the project but that is also based on the value to the audience. I suppose this ought to be an element considered in what makes a data set 'high value'.
Value is improved by inclusiveness/representativeness so if an open data project ultimately improves the participation of marginal groups in strengthening their human and political rights then that is one measure of value. An example would be a project that improves the collection and use of data on the sexual abuse of people with disabilities in institutions. That is one of the requests that came out of a recent Twitter chat run by a peak advocacy organisation in the disability sector.
People with disability may have specific needs that need to be taken into consideration with regard to consultation and participation, whether online or in person. It is an obvious example where a one size fits all approach is not appropriate.
Projects need to be sustainable. This can mean physically sustainable from a point of workmanship and participation both for developers but also for participants giving feedback. I am trying to build redundancy into the approach so that the documentation of planning is maintained so that people can move into and out of the project with minimal interruption to the project. I suspect the hackfest approach tries to deal with this by having everything done on site within a day or so but then this has other limitations as many projects are not one day projects.
On the other hand, with ongoing projects participants can be reluctant to commit for fear of getting in too deep. Personally, I don't want people to feel they are being locked into something and made to commit to something that they won't have time for down the track. I want to design an approach where if an important participant were no longer available, the project planning should allow for someone else to step into that place. I think documentation is the key to this.
For a project to be possible it has to have value and it has to be sustainable. This may well include the project being funded given that people need to be recompensed for the time they spend working on a project. One of the issues I am trying to address both for my own personal needs and for open data projects more widely is that there often seems to be this assumption that projects rely on volunteer coders and so open data events seem to be designed around the needs of coders rather than other participants.
I've always found this a bit odd because if there is a strong political or business case for a project, coders will work on it if they are paid. Yet rather than design projects, get funding and then recruit paid programmers to open data projects, most open data projects seem to be planned the other way around and events are designed around the needs of programmers, designers etc and the potential end users of projects are almost completely excluded from open data events.
Projects are then limited to what programmers are willing to work on for free rather than being designed around what the community might be willing to pay for if they had been consulted in the first place. A programmer should not have to ask themselves if they have time for yet another volunteer project because open data projects don't necessarily need to be unpaid gigs. Open data projects should have value to developers too. Hackfests can be one way of government recruiting consultants and so developers see the value in doing a couple of days work unpaid (though there are often prizes for the lucky ones).
This brings me back to my original point about the value of inclusiveness. Not everyone is motivated by prizes or consulting for government if the government is not seen to be representing the needs of the wider community. I think that when coders, funders and others can see a community behind a project this is a stronger motivation than just being expected to come up with ideas and work on them in a vacuum. Such projects will also be higher quality/of greater value because they will be designed with end users involved right from the start.

Rosie Williams BA (Sociology)________________________________________

 NoFibs.com.au - Open Data Reporter InfoAus.net - Founder and Developer