[@OKau] After the hackathon: 4 classic recipes

Cobi Alison Smith cobi.smith at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Apr 24 03:23:28 UTC 2015

Hackathons can also lead into or contribute to research projects, or other collaborative projects independent of government, which are not necessarily businesses - I guess that could come under the umbrella of community projects; in which case I guess I would that I *have* seen it happen :)

For example, in Geneva last year I was involved in 2 projects that developed across multiple hackathons. Geotagx.org a disaster response citizen science project, and blindstore.github.io a cryptography tool. Things like Mozilla Festival and Wikimania involve hackathon elements which are typically sprints on existing projects rather than projects starting from scratch. I think such bigger festival-type events are great because they allow cross-fertilisation of ideas and skills between communities and projects. These "soft outcomes" may be more valuable than new tools or projects themselves.

Thus another aspect of what emerges from hackathons is value & learning for individuals, beyond a given project. For example, I was part of the flushed.co team at melbournewomen.startupweekend.org. Most people involved were time-poor and overcommitted, so there really was a one-weekend focus. Because we used data.melbourne.vic.gov.au (which was part of our pitch - part of what I wanted to do was to demonstrate use of open data), people from council were super-keen to follow up and kept trying to organize meetings with our team. However we were all too busy and overcommitted with kids, work, study, travel etc. for that to happen. I found it frustrating that the council guy didn't seem to understand that while the hackathon structure worked for us as a group, we couldn't all just magically find some weekday business hours meeting time, especially since they weren't offering anything besides a vague meeting (I think our team's junior dev may have prioritised the meeting if they'd been offering a job or grant or any hard incentive to develop the project).

That relates to Rosie's recent sharing about community and incentives etc. but is mostly unrelated to Steve's sharing. Back to Steve's sharing - I learnt in that startupweekend that I had 0 experience with the mapping method our main developer wanted to use, so despite getting involved in that team partly due to my mapping interests, I ended up focused on communications aspects no-one else wanted to do, which I dislike getting typecast into (but was also my own fault since I was keen to communicate about open data & sanitation).

That led me to refocus my interest in OpenStreetMap, which led me to be interested in geotagx.org as it's underpinned by OpenStreetMap, which I consider valuable. So experiencing what I found to be a dead-end in one hackathon weekend led me to refocus energies on something I saw as worth developing - namely OpenStreetMap applications - which influenced my subsequent career path.

What's the takehome from this braindump? Umm.. if what Steve wrote is partly about showing value from Govhack, perhaps another topic could be 4 classic recipes from the perspective of participants' growth, in contrast to project growth?

/back to thesis :)