[@OKau] NSW Government Needs Input on Delivery of Government Services Using ICT

Steven De Costa steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au
Thu Aug 20 23:55:13 UTC 2015

Heya Tom,

This is my general feedback on such facilitated programs within Govt...
based on both direct and indirect experience.

1. Challenges raised from within the Govt are a good start.

2. Running a competition similar to the ACT Government Digital Canberra
Challenge is good - two teams each working on a different challenge

3. Moving from the awards ceremony into the next phase needs to be improved
- although the format allows direct sourcing the Govt folks need to also be
prepared to initiate on the contract/project. It is at this point that I
think Govt should consider contracts which are more like a recruitment
process than a project procurement.

In a recruitment process the organisation hiring acknowledges they need a
resource to help in a role. They know how much they can afford to pay that
resource and they generally know how they'd mange performance in the role.
You don't need functional specifications or anything else, you just need a
responsible organisation/team/person working to a set of performance
targets.

If the competition formats that drive the development of apps or innovative
digital service platforms were funded in this way then we'd have a
framework for more public-private partnerships without all the legacy ICT
procurement processes creeping in as soon as anyone had any doubts.

I can't make it to the Sydney sessions but it would be great if this kind
of approach was raised and discussed.

Cheers,
Steven

*STEVEN DE COSTA *|