[@OKau] Open Data Use Cases

Rosie Williams BudgetAus at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 23:26:02 UTC 2015

View online at https://openaus.net.au/blog/2015/12/09/open-data-use-cases/

Open Data Use Cases
December 9, 2015

| No Comments<https://openaus.net.au/blog/2015/12/09/open-data-use-cases//#comments>

The following are my use-cases of open data using data-sets available via data.gov.au. I also use data that is not available via data.gov.au (eg ABS data, parliamentary entitlement spending, grants data).

If you would like further information please do not hesitate to contact Rosie at [admin @ openaus.net.au]. You can support my work at Patreon<https://www.patreon.com/openaus?ty=h> or refer potential customersOpenAus:Charities<https://openaus.net.au/commonwealth/charities/index.php> or OpenAus:Tenders<https://openaus.net.au/commonwealth/tenders/index.php>. Subscription options for OpenAus:Charities are at this page<https://openaus.net.au/contribute.php>.

________________________________

Use Case No1 | Title: OpenAus:Charities | Type: Application

[Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 1.41.27 pm]<https://openaus.net.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Screen-Shot-2015-12-09-at-1.41.27-pm.png>

Description
OpenAus:Charities provides an updated list of registered charities made searchable by postcode, issue, federal electorate and local government area. OpenAus:Charities also provides Commonwealth grants & tenders received by registered charities searchable by postcode, ABN & name. Includes CSV dowloads & widget button to make data available through your own site.

Data sets used:

ACNC registered charities https://data.gov.au/dataset/acnc-register
2014 information statements https://data.gov.au/dataset/acnc2014ai
?Weekly Export https://data.gov.au/dataset/austender-contract-notice-export
Historical contract notices https://data.gov.au/dataset/historical-australian-government-contract-data

________________________________

Use Case No2 | Title: OpenAus:Tenders | Type: Application

[Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 1.46.45 pm]<https://openaus.net.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Screen-Shot-2015-12-09-at-1.46.45-pm.png>

OpenAus:Tenders provides tenders data totalled by party, electorate and government going back to 1991. Users can find tenders going to their postcode, federal electorate or search by agency, name, ABN etc. Includes CSV downloads. Useful for researchers, businesses, activists & media.

Data sets used:
?Weekly Export https://data.gov.au/dataset/austender-contract-notice-export
Historical contract notices https://data.gov.au/dataset/historical-australian-government-contract-data

________________________________

Use Case No3 | Type: Application | BudgetAus is now called OpenAus:Budget and is available at https://openaus.net.au/budget/index.php

[Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 1.44.35 pm]<https://openaus.net.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Screen-Shot-2015-12-09-at-1.44.35-pm.png>

OpenAus:Budget provides the Commonwealth budget in searchable format, allowing users to easily find cuts and increases by Portfolio or Program. OpenAus:Budget also includes the list of organisations which have or are planned to be split/merged or abolished. Useful for media/activists wanting to keep up with government changes & as a politically neutral source for educators to explore the budget.

Data sets used:
Budget line-item CSV https://data.gov.au/dataset/budget-2015-16-tables-and-data
Australian Register of Organisations https://data.gov.au/dataset/australian-government-organisations-register

If you would like further information please do not hesitate to contact me. You can support my work at Patreon https://www.patreon.com/openaus?ty=h or refer potential customers OpenAus:Charities<https://openaus.net.au/commonwealth/charities/index.php> or OpenAus:Tenders<https://openaus.net.au/commonwealth/tenders/index.php>. Subscription options forOpenAus:Charities are at this page<https://openaus.net.au/contribute.php>.

Rosie Williams BA (Sociology)
 NoFibs.com.au<http://nofibs.com.au> - Open Data Reporter | OpenAus<https://openaus.net.au> - Founder and Developer