[@OKau] OpenAus

Rosie Williams budgetaus at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 26 03:50:15 UTC 2015

I'm in two minds about allowing users to select date ranges for results. I implemented it with the grants data but not the tenders data. There's a couple of reasons for that and I did have two options for the grants data originally, both by start date and end date. I took that back to just selecting data by start dates because I thought it was too complex for the typical user and would just confuse people. I was assuming people applying for grants would be looking for specific grants by the date they start and whether they'd prefer to search by calendar or financial year but I'll clarify this during consultation. Thanks for bringing it up.
The tenders data has it's own problems with the 500,000 rows of data queries simply would not run so I had to break this data up into 6 different tables, and write 6 queries creating 6 subtotals. The first is actually all amended tenders which is why it looks like it overlaps in time with the other subtotals. Like I said, I haven't done any of the user documentation yet.
Now that I've moved to a VPS perhaps I can combine all the tenders data into one table and have the one total. I'm new to dealing with such large amounts of data but it would cut down the code to a sixth of it's current size and make a lot more sense from a user perspective. Having said all that,  this is not a finished product/service (more of a starting point) and will only be going ahead and being improved with feedback from users if it gains enough financial support for me to survive on. I have to be able to pay for the VPS for example (along with everything else).
It's a lot of work so I'm just taking it one stage at a time and apportioning tasks to before and after funding - deciding what to leave till after I find out if it is going to actually run at all.
Thanks for taking an interest.
Rosie Williams BA (Sociology)________________________________________
 NoFibs.com.au - Open Data Reporter | InfoAus.net - Founder and Developer