[@OKau] A Missing Link

Ben Searle bensearle54 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 23:10:46 UTC 2015

Hi,

An open data related thought based on a number of years working in the data management space across different levels of government.

Most government organisations and individuals in those organisations understand the benefits of making their data available to the public.  That debate has generally been won.  But, most organisations are suffering reduced budgets and appreciate that they must expend some resources to comply with the open data philosophy.  This costs their organisation.  But what benefit do they get back from releasing their data?

Generally not much direct benefit, other than complying with broad government objectives.  So, what is their answer to the question of “whats in it for me?”….generally not much.  Until we can effectively answer that question the supply side of open data will continue to be limited and we will continue to have data released purely to increase data set numbers and meet KPI’s but will that data be useful?  Based on current activities, much of the existing open data would not be consumed by organisations wishing to generate digital products.

What is missing?

Ben Searle

Email:    bensearle54 at gmail.com
Mobile:  +61 (0) 400 453 601