[@OKau] Tenders data no derivatives?????

Rosie Williams budgetaus at hotmail.com
Thu May 14 20:32:34 UTC 2015

Hi all,
I would like to create an open data use case based on the Commonwealth tenders data at tenders.gov.au. This data has the licence CC by 3.0-ND which includes: NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/au/

I suspect that the requirements that I am gathering from prospective users  (and will continue to gather) might constitute an adaptation. I was hoping for some clarification of this and also why this limitation has been placed on this data as I am puzzled as to its existence and am inclined to challenge it.
One of the things I was potentially going to do was combine data from tenders, grants and ACNC register data. I am unclear if this constitutes an adaptation and if so why this would be prohibited?
People also want data presented in a way that is meaningful to them ie with context. This can involve mathematical context created by providing statistics (totals, percentages, averages etc) and also combining data with other data eg ABS data. This is what makes data of use to people.
I would like to know if the uses that people actually want the Commonwealth tenders data put to are prohibited under the current licence, if so why and how that can be changed?
It is also worth asking whether the same limitations are going to be applied to grants.gov.au when it comes online?
thanks in advance,
Rosie Williams BA (Sociology)________________________________________
 NoFibs.com.au - Open Data Reporter | InfoAus.net - Founder and Developer