[@OKau] OpenCon event for Australia

Steven De Costa steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au
Tue May 19 00:10:15 UTC 2015

Hiya Folks,

I'm keen to find out if people would be interested in helping to coordinate
an OpenCon Satellite event in Australia in November - actually between 14
Nov and 31 Dec if the window.

Details on logistics are here:
http://opencon2015.org/satellite/logistics

At this stage we'd just need to put forward a plan via this form:
http://opencon2015.org/Satellite/Plan

What is it? The main event is described below:

*OpenCon 2015 is the student and early career academic professional
conference on Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data and will be held
on November 14-16, 2015 in Brussels, Belgium. It is organized by the Right
to Research Coalition, SPARC (The Scholarly Publishing and Academic
Resources Coalition), and an Organizing Committee of students and early
career researchers from around the world.*

*The meeting will convene students and early career academic professionals
from around the world and serve as a powerful catalyst for projects led by
the next generation to advance OpenCon's three focus areas—Open Access,
Open Education, and Open Data. Participants for the conference will be
selected through an application process which will open on June. Full and
partial travel scholarships will be available to cover the cost of
attendance for qualified participants.*

What would it be in Australia?

I think this would be a good opportunity to bring together GLAM and
academic institutions, along with the usual Govt open data platform folks.
I think we could put together a solid one day agenda of speakers and
workshops and aim to attract to target audience of students and early
career academic professionals with content tailored for them.

I think we'd want to have two or three physical venues linked via video
conference for the speaking sessions. We'd then run similar workshops in
each venue for the non speaking parts...

*Are we interested?*

Feel free to email me direct (steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au) if you
think you might be interested in helping out but aren't sure. Otherwise,
feel free to add to this thread and let everyone know what you think - yes
or no?

Hoots!

*STEVEN DE COSTA *|
*EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR*www.linkdigital.com.au