[@OKau] After the hackathon: 4 classic recipes

Cobi Alison Smith cobi.smith at unimelb.edu.au
Mon May 4 09:24:24 UTC 2015

I agree with Paul and Steve about what opportunities exist and why. Coincidentally I just posted an update on my site about some of my thoughts following publication of Friday's article
http://cobismith.com/2015/05/04/sharing-in-the-public-sphere/
in it I discuss the impact of AdaCamp, because I'm reminded of discussions at that first AdaCamp about women in open stuff and stereotyping and what tasks in communities are valued.

I'm feeling fatigued from talking about it. It's great that GovHack events in some places are supporting childcare. I think Rosie's issues about project sustainability and work involved are related to what funded opportunities exist. Yay Code for Australia defying stereotypes - I also don't want this to come across as a polarised binary gender thing. It's about valuing skill sets. OK UK funds people to do things beyond just tech.

Tired. I appreciate folk sharing. Frustrated I didn't meet my thesis word count goal today because I was listening to people, then frustrated at myself for thus valuing quantified production over listening.

Enough oversharing from me tonight.