[@OKau] A Missing Link

Ben Searle bensearle54 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 00:25:51 UTC 2015

Great discussion Steven…..

At a macro scale I totally agree with you….no argument on the points you are making.  But, I understand how the mind of a Director level manager in a department such as Health would respond.  The arguments you use would have no influence on this manager.  if they were in a situation where they could influence increased or decreasing taxes, they would have no genuine interest.  It would not impact them in any real way, at least not in the period of a few years.  The only thing that influences them is their direct responsibilities and the budgets allocated to their specific tasks and I can assure you that apart from having ‘Open Data’ as part of an organisational interest, as individual managers, there is no incentive, in fact there are generally dis incentives…

I am not meaning to be harsh here, just realistic in how a government organisation and its people operate.   I have had contact with many different levels of people across all levels of government both here and overseas.  While most appreciate open data concepts and benefits, they struggle to support the initiative if it means the diversion of their own scarce resources to meet open data objectives.

We all know that cars produce significant pollution, but most of us keep driving…. public good is great, but only if it doesn’t impact me….and this is the situation in government agencies…

Sorry for raving on….

Ben Searle

Email:    bensearle54 at gmail.com
Mobile:  +61 (0) 400 453 601