[@OKau] A Missing Link

Craig Thomler craig.thomler at gmail.com
Fri May 8 00:04:01 UTC 2015

With a commercial hat on, there's very little openly published government
data I would trust for economic reuse.

This is because most government open data is published irregularly, it's
often out of date, incomplete or incorrect and agencies often 'tweak' data
formats across datasets in the same series, meaning additional development
work (cost) to keep using the data and 'breaks' in the product.

I'd rather pay a fee for access to reliable and regularly published data to
manage the risk, and allow all or some of th data to be freely published at
less regular intervals for non-profit use that doesn't kill my market.

I really don't think the open data model is sustainable based solely on an
economic driver, and certainly could never be sustainable in this
way without vast improvements in the data collection' cleaning and release
processes of agencies.

However I do believe open data is critical for accountability, transparency
and improving service design and delivery. All hard to measure on a pure $
value and some uncomfortable for governments to stomach.

We need to step away from the model of government as vending machine - and
that includes the concept that a government's performance can be solely
judged in economic terms (how do we configure a vending machine for maximum
profit - set it to take people's money and return no products/services).

Governments are social constructs for organising, protecting and
empowering groups of people to realise their potential without trampling
over everyone else.

Economic success is a benefit of good governance, not the reason for the
existence of government.

If some open data is economically successful, that's great, but a far
better (but harder) measure of its success is how it empowers people to
fulfil their ambitions and allows them, as the owners of government, to
critically assess whether the governance approach is working well or
requires adjustment.

Cheers,

Craig

Craig Thomler

http://egovau.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/CraigThomler
http://au.linkedin.com/in/craigthomler
http://www.slideshare.net/CraigThomler
<http://www.slideshare.net/CraigThomler%20>

*Mobile:* 0411 780 194 (*International:* +61 411 780 194)
*Phone:* 02 6161 4508 (*International: *+61 2 6161 4508)
*Skype:* craig.thomler