[@OKau] The talk thing from yesterday

Craig Thomler craig.thomler at gmail.com
Fri May 8 01:31:28 UTC 2015

Hey Steve,

Why not record the talk to camera, rather than waiting for the next event?

Cheers

Craig

On Thursday, May 7, 2015, Steven De Costa <steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au>
wrote:

> Hiya folks,
>
> I gave a talk yesterday at the AWS symposium for public sector, education
> and non profits.
>
> The deck I used can be found here:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/starlen/the-perfect-storm-service-oriented-government-data-classification-and-aws
>
> With a prettier layout many of the words are dropped but the general
> points I was trying to make were something like this:
>

>    1. Link does AWS stuff and sells services etc...
>    2. Using Drupal, CKAN and AWS together is pretty neat and here are two
>    examples on why that is
>    3. Slide 12 and 14 show the general approach used for the data first
>    media platform we build for ACT government and the setup we use for
>    Victorian Government's open data release model (three tiers of CKAN
>    environments).
>    4. Data classification... the list on slide 16 shows the questions
>    that need to be marked 'no' to release a dataset publicly on the Data.Vic
>    platform.
>
> After that I looped back to the economic points I would normally start
> with. So, covering the definition of economic goods, why information goods
> are MOAR good, going through the principles of open government, making a
> point about the basic role of Australian Government and finally talking
> about transaction costs.
>
> I think the transaction costs slide is the most important. When you see
> that collaboration provides not only a higher quality of innovation but
> also a lower cost, then you can then move on to suggest that every external
> contract from the public sector into the private is an example of a
> 'private-public' partnership.
>
> If we can recognize that then we can start to ask whether the procurement
> and delivery mechanisms are setup to respect the value derived from the
> 'collaborative procurement' and 'collaborative management' required in
> private-public relationships.
>
> I had to do the session in 30 minutes and unfortunately there is no
> recording. If I get a chance to do it again I'll try to get 45 minutes and
> publish something people can watch :)
>
> Hoots!
>

> *STEVEN DE COSTA *|
> *EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR*www.linkdigital.com.au

Craig Thomler

http://egovau.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/CraigThomler
http://au.linkedin.com/in/craigthomler
http://www.slideshare.net/CraigThomler
<http://www.slideshare.net/CraigThomler%20>

*Mobile:* 0411 780 194 (*International:* +61 411 780 194)
*Phone:* 02 6161 4508 (*International: *+61 2 6161 4508)
*Skype:* craig.thomler