[@OKau] After the hackathon: 4 classic recipes

Rosie Williams budgetaus at hotmail.com
Sat May 9 05:23:43 UTC 2015

I suspect the key to building successful, sustainable open data projects is to begin with the community rather than developers. If a request for data and a project to make that data usable has a reasonably sized community behind it then it is more likely to be used and hopefully to be funded- both of which are good things.
I spent a week or so collecting questions that open data could help answer and have begun documenting them with the help of the communities behind them at http://infoaus.net/projects/index.php/Problems_that_open_data_can_help_solve
These communities know what they want, they are just unaware of any process currently in place through which they can have these data needs met and a hackathon is not really a suitable approach to dealing with these questions or communities.
I'm doing this with no resources behind me at present and I don't expect all of these projects to proceed but I think it is important to invite the community to be part of the open data agenda in Australia both because there's hardly a point to it if the  wider community/demos itself is not participating and because I think it might solve the issues to do with sustainability.
Rosie Williams BA (Sociology)________________________________________
 NoFibs.com.au - Open Data Reporter | InfoAus.net - Founder and Developer