[@OKau] Standard format for publishing CSV spatial data on data.gov.au - feedback, comments?

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:27:39 UTC 2015

Hi all,
  Thought I should follow up. After a bit more thought, I realised that
it's essentially impossible to have a standard that requires a field to
have a name which is simultaneously human readable, unambiguous in a
variety of contexts, and intuitive to both the data producer and consumer.
I've slightly re-pitched the document, backing away from a "standard" and
making it a "convention", more explicitly geared toward the primary
purpose, which is support in Terria. Obviously I hope the convention is
useful for other purposes as well, but I think there's a bigger problem
that needs a bigger solution, which I hope Open Knowledge's Tabular Data
Format <http://dataprotocols.org/tabular-data-package/> will handle.

A couple of specific changes:
- moved from the "made up out of the blue" field name "au:state" to
"state", with the Australian interpretation made unambiguous by the fact
that you tagged the dataset with aus-geo-csv. (And similar for many others)
- made the CSV spec more explicit
- recommended EPSG:4283 instead of EPSG:4326 (turns out the difference is
pretty tiny, but will grow over time due to continental drift...)
- discouraged use of LGA names as a lookup mechanism, in favour of LGA codes

Overall I think it's much better than it was, although not perfect. The
feedback was really useful.

Steve