[@OKau] Intelligent Data Management

Rosie Williams budgetaus at hotmail.com
Mon May 11 21:42:56 UTC 2015

Hi Cobi & all,
Thanks so much Cobi for explaining the relevance of this thread to me - someone working with data published by government. I wasn't sure if documentation was just something used internally or whether it had relevance to other stakeholders.
Your approach to program evaluation brings to mind Yorta Yorta woman Summer Findlay who's PhD is related to program evaluation of Indigenous health care services . I think Summer is just starting her PhD so might appreciate your insights.
It is so good to see the significance of approaches to good public policy coming into discussion about open knowledge. I did a major project in public policy as part of my degree, however at the time I could not validate the role of the public in policy change as the text books I was reading & relying on were written before the political and social changes wrought by the internet. However much has changed in the intervening years and it is all relevant to open government and the role of open data in open government.
 In terms of the question about the organisational culture of the public service, I think it needs to be considered in light of the fundamental changes that are occurring in wider society and the relevance of that for our political system and open government.
I remember Steven de Costa mentioning in a thread a few weeks ago that the government is not the seat of power in decisions about opening data (please correct any misquote, Steven). Open government and open data is part of this change in culture aiming for a more collaborative approach to solving society's problems. I've seen a fair bit written about the potential of the internet to increase the power of the individual. Interestingly to me, I've not seen anything written about the concordant increase in responsibility of the individual in taking responsibility for the consequences of increased power.
If the government is nervous about taking risk, one reason for that is that it is operating in a political environment where it is seen as responsible for everything and easily becomes the subject of blame. If the public plays a greater role in solving our own needs then we also need to accept more responsibility for success or failure. The more involved we are in how things turn out, the more the responsibility we have and the less we get to point the finger at the government. As the locus of control changes, so must the locus of responsibility.
If the potential of  internet and its changes to how we do politics and government are to manifest then we need to change from a society where the government is seen as the solution to all problems (and consequently blamed for any and all problems) to a society where the government is seen as a facilitator and the people can feel they are both engaged and therefore responsible to a degree for the solutions that emerge.
Rosie Williams BA (Sociology)________________________________________
 NoFibs.com.au - Open Data Reporter | InfoAus.net - Founder and Developer