[@OKau] opensourced tech specs

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Wed May 20 04:42:24 UTC 2015

Hi Rosie,
  Repeating what some others have said a bit, but I think simply starting a
GitHub repo per project works pretty well. General pattern:

- create the repo
- add a README explaining the vision
- commit code, using commit messages to further expand on the "why we're
doing this"
- add issues as you go, either just to document things you haven't done
yet, or even to document things you're about to do, then close
- have discussions on issues. This seems to work really well, in my
experience - it's easy to @ping people to bring them into a discussion, and
you get email notifications of relevant stuff.
- encourage others to submit pull requests

I've started a couple of projects on GitHub and had collaboration from
others (eg
https://github.com/okfnau/open-council-data/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue),
and I've contributed small pieces here and there to maybe a few dozen
repos. Browsing through current issues and the discussion on them is an
excellent way for a newcomer to understand the goals, mode of working, and
general culture of each project.

In general, I find wikis a bit of a pain - they really do go out of date,
then no one wants to touch them. For NationalMap, we use the wiki for a
couple of specific bits of documentation (eg
https://github.com/terriajs/terriajs/wiki) , but you have to be careful to
avoid them being a dumping ground of uselessness.

It's also possible (but a bit orthogonal to the above) to host static sites
directly on GitHub (just make a branch called gh-pages), eg:
http://okfnau.github.io/PTV-API-Swagger/dist/index.html

The bit that Alex mentioned about .md pages on GitHub turning into a
website (http://okfnau.github.io/open-council-data/) is actually not GitHub
functionality - that's a library called FlatDoc. I'd still highly recommend
using MarkDown as a documentation format, though, because it does render
well when viewed in GitHub, and is generally very developer friendly.

Steve