[@OKau] opensourced tech specs

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Wed May 20 05:13:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Rosie Williams <budgetaus at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I will probably end up using git so don't take me the wrong way but while
> it is very developer friendly it is not general public friendly. My site
> users would like it a whole lot more if they could sign in using their
> social media accounts.

Yes and no...depending on what you mean by "general public". Will McIntosh
from Geelong Council has been contributing, and he's not a developer at
all. Similar experience with a couple of other public servants - GitHub
might be outside the range of normal experience but it's not hard to pick
up. (For issues at least).

> BTW, your post about what you hate about github comes up in the first page
> of google results on github ;-) I agree heartily with that post!

:) To be clear, while I think GitHub is a great collaborative platform, I
still think Git (on the command line, particularly) is pretty painful for
version control.

> I guess I can put the spec on the wiki. Unless devs come along it will
> just be me coding it so only me writing & updating the spec. That might
> have advantages to in making it readable for the general public. I think
> the spec might be an important public document for what I'm doing. Thanks
> everyone for helping me think through the various issues around how to
> approach the task.

I'd consider maintaining the spec as a MarkDown file in the repo itself.
Then you have much clearer history and a tighter process for accepting
changes. It's more trustworthy because people know that you (or another
admin) approved the change, it wasn't just added by someone with no
discussion.

Steve