[@OKau] CBR event from today

Rosie Williams budgetaus at hotmail.com
Wed May 20 21:28:26 UTC 2015

Hi MaiaThere are difficult tasks for the business plan like defining my business concept in a single sentence and present this to a class of a dozen people from very different backgrounds in a way they could all understand. I don't think what I'm proposing can be explained in a single sentence but that is just one small part of a large and detailed business plan and probably not something the panel will look at anyway.
Open data is not a terribly simple as a business concept to explain to people who don't know what open data is, even though most people probably use a public transport utility app based on open data. They just don't know that's what it is.
I'm struggling with the old school approach to presenting to panel where I'm confined to showing a very lengthy hardcopy business plan and nothing else. I find it much easier to just show people my sites in an interactive way. I'm sure it will all be fine. Just saying that explaining open data as a business concept is quite different to explaining something everyone already is familiar with such as opening a cafe or event planning.
I really like the talks from the Canberra event - listened to Pia's yesterday and it would have been perfect for the USYD students also researching a business plan for me (for a business school unit in social entrepreneurism) to explain where the industry is at. I wasn't really involved before 2012 so the history is a bit hazy. I was asked by one of the students 'how long does it take to open a data set?'. I tried to explain that there is no definitive answer to that question and no one person responsible for opening a data set. It doesn't really work like that.
What I'm finding too is that data sets often need to be tweaked. There are instances where significant work needs to be done to improve data quality (looks that way from the outside anyway). It isn't just a matter of releasing data but also making it useful. It is often when it is put to use that the inconsistencies, mistakes, missing data etc become obvious. So it is not a one-off event of a data set being opened and that's it.
Rosie Williams BA (Sociology)________________________________________
 NoFibs.com.au - Open Data Reporter | InfoAus.net - Founder and Developer