[@OKau] Talk on Open Education in UK, Europe or Asia

Steven De Costa steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au
Mon May 25 02:15:13 UTC 2015

Hi Tom,

I'd be happy to talk generally on OK related points for open education and
the ambition within Australia to support it.

But I think open research might be a more interesting subject and that
might be covered much better by David Flanders, Fiona Tweedie or Steve
Bennett.

What says the peeps?

Cheers,
Steven

On Sunday, May 24, 2015, Tom Worthington <tom.worthington at tomw.net.au>
wrote:

> I will be at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, 21 to 26 July 2015, to
> present a paper on open education at the 10th International Conference on
> Computer Science and Education (ICCSE 2015). Normally when speaking at a
> conference I also give free public talks for government, professionals and
> academics along the way. Anyone willing to host a talk between Canberra and
> Cambridge, please let me know.
>
> The actual paper is a bit academic:
>
> "Time-shifted Learning: Merging Synchronous and Asynchronous Techniques
> for E-Learning":
>
>    "E-learning techniques are usually classified into two broad
> categories: synchronous and synchronous. The core question of this research
> is how to combine synchronous and asynchronous techniques in e-learning
> software, so it can have a stronger connection with constructivist
> education. The benefits and drawbacks of existing e-learning software is
> looked at broadly. Three popular e-learning packages used at the Australian
> National University are investigated: Adobe Connect (synchronous), Moodle
> and edX (asynchronous). The results of a brief survey of edX students is
> reported. Using the results of this work a team of students at the ANU
> Research School of Computer Science is now implementing enhanced
> asynchronous software to be plugged into Moodle and other asynchronous
> e-learning packages."
>
> Reference: Worthington, T. & Wu, H. (2015, July). Time-shifted Learning:
> Merging Synchronous and Asynchronous Techniques for E-Learning. In Computer
> Science & Education (ICCSE), 20152 10th International Conference on
> (accepted paper). Preprint: http://hdl.handle.net/1885/13554
>
> ps: Blog post:
> http://blog.tomw.net.au/2015/05/what-to-see-in-cambridge-uk-in-july.html
>

> --
> Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
> The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/
> PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au
> Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards
> Legislation
>
> Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
> Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/

*STEVEN DE COSTA *|
*EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR*www.linkdigital.com.au