Paul Walsh paulywalsh at gmail.com
Mon May 25 04:38:41 UTC 2015

For the original issue raised by Stephen:

Discourse (the community software that runs discuss.okfn.org) is definitely a great improvement for 'the general public', and may well make this discussion more accessible.

Note that Discourse has all the features of a 'normal' mailing list too.

And as for the interesting turn this discussion took regarding an Australian vs. international focus:

I'm calling false dichotomy.

More engagement with what is going on internationally can only push open data in Australia forward. How could it possibly be at the expense of local concerns?

Developers are aware of NIH syndrome - 'not invented here' - which is loosely used to describe the compulsion to reinvent the wheel yourself so that you can make the wheel exactly as *you* think it should be. In the end, you have a wheel.

Everyone thinks there particular situation is unique, and it rarely is, not to the extent they think.

Rosie raised the issue of engaging the 'general public' in this context, which she has raised quite a bit lately.

Every open data project (and, for the record, commercial project in the last ~4 years) I've been involved in is engaged with its users. This is just best practice stuff in software development, and if, as Rosie seems to be driving at, there is a gap here around this in Australia, perhaps engagement with other initiatives around the globe can help provide context and strategies around this.

But anyway, back to the original point of the thread - the discussion here has been great in the last few months, and I agree with Steve Bennett that there is not really something to fix here in the short term. Unless, of course, there are side effect benefits from moving (such as being exposed to other categories of discussion like Stephen Gates' vital engagement with the Open Data Index over there).