[@OKau] Open Educational Resources (OER) Toolkit for Teachers

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Nov 10 21:31:17 UTC 2015

On 9 Nov 2015 01:50:42  Delia Browne wrote:

> ... Open Educational Resources (OER) Toolkit for Teachers,
> Curriculum and eLearning Developers ...
> We will get  pdf and doc version up on our website as soon we can. ...

Instead of creating PDF and DOC versions, I suggest improving the
formatting of the web version instead:

* Left justify text: The text is fully justified which is hard to read
with a narrow column. I suggest making the column wider and left
justifying the text.

* Alt text on images: The alternative text on the images is not very
descriptive, for example "poster1" has no caption and is not referred to
at all in the text.

* Responsive design: Add a few lines of CSS, so that the page adjusts
for use on mobile devices. To do that it would help to emotive the
extraneous formatting from the HTML, such as explicit line heights. The
web pages would then also cleanly convert to PDF and DOC formats,
without additional work.

ps: The toolkit is also far, far, far too long and detailed to be of use
to Teachers, Curriculum or e-Learning Developers. I know what I am
talking about as last term I completed a 13 week course on OER, which
seemed like an eternity. ;-)

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/