[@OKau] How can we fund important Open Source projects?

Craig Thomler craig.thomler at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 05:36:03 UTC 2015

Hi Rosie,

You should also think about who your customer is.

Yes the public (citizens) are technically the audience for governance
transparency services, but citizens don't pay for these services, they
expect them to be baked into the service offer from government.

Generally citizens in Australia don't experience pain as a result of lack
of governance transparency, so they don't see the value in expending money
or time to alleviate it.

You may find customers amongst businesses who see data as a route to
profits, but again this is a limited market with quite specific needs, so
they're only interested in a subset of the data and very specific services
which don't always serve a transparency objective.

You might find a few customers amongst NGOs focused on government
transparency - however these groups are weak and diffuse in Australia as
there's no real pain (again) from failures to be transparent, and they are
very restricted in what they can afford to pay.

Finally there's government's themselves, who often have the most to gain
from transparency initiatives due to the internal return and the perceptual
value externally. They have money and interest, but difficult purchase
processes to navigate and are unreliable payers (as many in the grant space
recognise).

Ultimately if you're seeking to commercialize open data you need to look at
where there's pain points in the market that people will pay to alleviate.

There are opportunities (such as transport data), these are limited but
could fund your broader work.

You could also consider offering your services to the open data team in NSW
government or the DTO - your experience using open data is valuable and
something that people on the collection/release side don't always have.

Cheers,

Craig