[okfn-be] Wikimedia Belgium

maarten deneckere maartendeneckere at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:59:42 UTC 2012

Hey all,

I've been active in setting up the WM BE as well but I differ in opinion
from Romaine. Setting up an organisation with only volunteers is not easy,
enormous amounts of work, and the result: troubles, discussions, fights,
I've experience things like this with WM NL and ZA, and in my opinion we
can avoid this by teaming up with an existing organisation.

If I look to the "working groups" within okfn, I would love to collaborate
with all four of them.

There will be some drawbacks of collaborating, especially on funding. But
as we will use grants in the first years, and via the FDC (Funds
Dissemination Committee), the impact of this would be limited in the first
years.

I touched on this with Lodewijk (Chapters Committee), he had no real
objections on using the detour.

Groeten,
Maarten