[okfn-be] Join is at a Procurement Hack Day in Brussels - May 2

Anders Pedersen anders.pedersen at okfn.org
Tue Apr 30 08:47:42 UTC 2013

Dear OKF Belgium,

I apologise that this invite didn't reach you earlier, but hope that some
of you will be able to join despite the late notice. Please get in touch
with me if you've got any questions about the event.

In two days, on May 2 OpenSpending will be organising a free Hack Day in
Brussels on procurement data [1].

At the Hack Day we'll be asking: Can we use EU procurement data to find
better ways to tell stories about private contractors and government
spending?

We want to build tools helping citizens to answer questions like
(examples):
- which contractors benefit from outsourcing of portuguese municipal
services and
- does the German government actually contract with the "small and medium
sized businesses" it loves to talk about, or does it actually prefer the
"big guys"?

A recent blog post on OpenSpending [2] takes a closer look at reasons why
procurement data should be of interest to journalists.

We hope that activists, journalists and civic coders will join the Hack Day
. We've got 18 people registered for event.

To sum up here are the activities next week in Brussels:
2 May: Hack Day on Procurement [1]
3-4 May: DataHarvest [3] - OpenSpending will take part in the J-Lab track
and the number crunching of EU farm subsidies. Full programme available
here [4].

Best,
Anders

[1] http://procurement-hack.eventbrite.com/#