[okfn-be] The power of Open Source & Open Data: The gentse Feesten case

Roel De Meester roel.de.meester at wunderkraut.com
Wed Jun 26 12:24:44 UTC 2013

Hi all,

a small story about the power of open source and open data.

About 2 months ago The Wunderkraut team made an offer to City of Ghent to
build the new app for gentsefeesten.be.

We offered to both use open data (event information) and to publish the
code for both native ios and android apps on github.

Too bad we lost the deal because our competitor had proposed 1 more extra
feature. A pity, but that's how life goes.

At that point the developers (@swentel and @timleytens) and graphic
designer (@leenvs)  decided to build their proposal anyway during their
spare time.

In roughly the same timeframe, and with (we think) a better result the
volunteers managed to deliver the new app & publish their code on github.

Our hope is that this code will be reused next year and continuously
improved for upcoming editions of GentseFeesten. That's the true power of
Open Source and Open Data.

If you have time . please spread the news and retweet
https://twitter.com/AppsForGhent/status/349836747431088129

Greetings
Roel

--
*

 Roel De Meester, Managing Director Wunderkraut Belgium
roel.de.meester at wunderkraut.com, phone +32 3 298 69 98, mobile +32 498
416699
Schedule a meeting with me : http://doodle.com/roel.de.meester

Wunderkraut – Working wonders with Drupal – http://wunderkraut.com/
Zénobe Grammestraat 34, B-2018 Antwerpen, Belgium
Dendermondsesteenweg 48A, B-9000 Gent, Belgium
Wunderkraut Belgium is the new name of Krimson -
http://krimson.be/wunderkraut-pressrelease

*