[okfn-be] Data Days hackathon

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at okfn.org
Mon Nov 25 16:53:13 UTC 2013

Hi all,

tl;dr:

See flyer
  - Attending the kick-off? Register here: [1]
  - Participating in one of the hackathon tracks? Start coding, we'll
open a registration form this Thursday!

Long:

We have already sent out a Save The Date for Open Belgium, the
conference part of Data Days 2014 in Ghent the 17th of February. As part
of Data Days (#dd2014), we are also inviting project developers to
compete in a hackathon. This is not what you're used to though...

The stakes are high! We have a total amount of prizes of EUR35.000 (and
extras) split in 3:

  * EUR 5.000 + a trip to pitch your app in e.g. Manchester for "citizen
developers": you are not a real programmer but you are interested in
datasets for your city and tweaking apps to your needs. You are coming
*this Thursday* to Sint Laureins meet data owners, learn to use the
datasets, network and get explanation about some tools that can be used
(register here [1])

  * EUR 10.000 for a professional app that helps to fight poverty. The
award ceremony of this app will already take place the 13th of December.
As well this Thursday you will be able to meet people who have
identified social problems, but don't have the skills to develop them.
If you implement one of these ideas, you're raising you chances.

  * EUR 20.000 for an app that re-uses the very fresh Open Data from the
VKBO (register of companies in Flanders and Belgium). With the 20k, you
are supposed to keep your app up and running afterwards or to use it as
seedfunding for your start-up.

This Thursday at Manage IT in Sint Laureins, the website of Data Days
will be launched and the hackathon will be kicked off. Feel free to stop
by! [2]

You can find a flyer as an attachment.

Kind regards,

Pieter