[okfn-be] DECODE: giving people ownership of their personal data

Gijs Boerwinkel gijs at waag.org
Fri Apr 6 09:36:22 UTC 2018

Hello!

I take the liberty to contact you since I think you could be interested in one of the projects we are currently working on here at Waag called DECODE.

DECODE <https://decodeproject.eu/> was born as a reaction to the monopolisation of the online sphere by private actors, consequently leaving little space for users' concerns regarding the use of their personal data. The project attempts to address this taking three different approaches.

Firstly, a mechanism enabling fine-grained control over personal data storage and usage. Secondly, a privacy-preserving tool allowing authentication during digital participation without revealing more personal information than strictly necessary. Thirdly, a safe way to share citizens’ and civic data to enable a ‘data commons’ for use by all stakeholders. Furthermore, in the spirit of citizens sovereignty, those tools will be free to use and open source. In addition, Decode provides an opportunity for data collectors and -processors to take steps towards complying with the upcoming GDPR regulations.

DECODE is a work in progress and it is been developed at this very moment, with pilots already initiated in the cities of Amsterdam and Barcelona. If you feel like you want to participate in any way in the project, feel free to contact us. We care about reaching those who resonate with the issues DECODE is addressing and hope building a community of concerned developers, policymakers and city makers.

Finally, if you are interested in knowing how DECODE is progressing but also getting news related to DECODE's philosophy, I will be very happy to add you to our DECODE Amsterdam newsletter. Or you can add yourself here <http://eepurl.com/dqzKUD> to stay updated about our progress and your potential involvement. If you have any other questions feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

Gijs Boerwinkel
community manager

skype: gijs.boerwinkel