[okfn-be] Money Trail grants for mixed teams of African, Asian and European journalists

Journalismfund.eu info at journalismfund.eu
Mon Jul 2 09:15:27 UTC 2018

Conducting and delivering journalistic illicit finance investigations takes time. It can be technically difficult, complex, legally sensitive and on occasion, dangerous.

Then there’s the question of getting your piece published.  Editors quite rightly take a lot of convincing before they run corruption and tax avoidance tales whether written by their own staff or freelancers.

It’s why “following the money” is among the hardest journalism areas. External support – financial investigation skills, safety training and money – is clearly needed.

The Money Trail <https://www.money-trail.org/> consortium, which was launched at the 8th European Investigative Journalism Conference & Dataharvest <https://dataharvest.eu/>, is an attempt to address this directly. Consisting of Finance Uncovered <https://www.financeuncovered.org/>, Free Press Unlimited <https://www.freepressunlimited.org/en>, Journalismfund.eu <https://journalismfund.wordpress.com/> and Oxfam Novib <https://www.oxfamnovib.nl/>, together we are offering training on illicit finance investigations, data security, mentoring and crucially journalism grants. Our funder is the Netherlands’ National Postcode Lottery <https://www.postcodeloterij.nl/>.

Grants

Through Journalismfund.eu <https://journalismfund.wordpress.com/>, Money Trail offers grants to teams of African, Asian and European journalists to investigate cross-border illicit financial flows, tax abuse and corruption.

Mixed teams of African, Asian and European journalists can apply for our #MoneyTrail grants to investigate cross-border illicit financial flows, tax abuse and corruption in Africa, Asia and Europe. The first deadline is 15 July. Apply here: www.money-trail.org/grants <http://www.money-trail.org/grants>

Send us an email at info at journalismfund.eu <mailto:info at journalismfund.eu> if you need pre-application advice.

Training

Run by Finance Uncovered <http://www.financeuncovered.org/> and Free Press Unlimited <https://www.freepressunlimited.org/en>, our six financial investigation courses over three years will also include a comprehensive digital security component.

Bursaries cover the costs of flights, hotels and daily subsistence and are available for qualifying journalists and civil society activists. Training takes place in London, Abuja and Jakarta. Check course details and applications here <https://www.financeuncovered.org/course/apply-now-new-finance-uncovered-london-course-bursaries-available/#more-866> for London training this September. We are likely to hold our Jakarta training next February.

Journalismfund.eu <http://journalismfund.eu/> vzw
4b Rozenweg, 1731 Zellik (Belgium)
+32 2 705 59 19
www.journalismfund.eu <http://www.journalismfund.eu/> - www.dataharvest.eu <http://www.dataharvest.eu/>