[okfn-br] Fwd: "Open Access" publications under CC-NC licences

Everton Zanella Alvarenga everton137 em gmail.com
Sábado Dezembro 10 03:02:10 UTC 2011

Discussão interessante e cheia de boas referências sobre os perigos de
licenças com a restrição não comercial para a ciência aberta (e acho
que pode ser estendido para a educação aberta ;). Podem acompanhar no
link abaixo e posts subsequentes:

http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/okfn-discuss/2011-December/008122.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Murray-Rust <>
Date: 2011/12/7
Subject: [okfn-discuss] "Open Access" publications under CC-NC licences
To: okfn-discuss em lists.okfn.org

There has been considerable recent discussion about CC-NC licences
being used for "Open Access" papers by scholarly publishers. I have
written a few blog posts (

http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2011/11/29/scientists-should-never-use-cc-nc-this-explains-why/
 http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2011/12/04/more-on-how-commercial-publishers-use-non-commercial-licensing-funders-are-you-really-getting-your-money%E2%80%99s-worth-many-are-not/
, http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2011/12/06/acceptance-of-cc-nc-has-sold-readers-and-authors-seriously-short/
) and responded to comments. I have summarised this in
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2011/12/07/%E2%80%9Copen-access%E2%80%9D-and-non-commercial-licences-summary/

Ross Mounce has summarised this as:
this mess has caused irreparable damage to the re-usability of the literature
with which I completely agree. I think it's so serious that it should
not be discussed on my blog but brought here.

It took me by surprise that authorPays "Open Access" seems to be
almost completely CC-NC. (The main open Access publishers such as
PLoSONE and BMC have complete OKD-compliance by using CC-BY). CC-NC
places so many restrictions on re-use that it is almost useless in
science.

I believe that the OKFN should take this issue very seriously and with
great urgency. We know that multi-author organizations which start
using CC-NC find it impossible to chnage later without approaching
every author and with scholpub this is out of the question, so the
longer this goes on the worse the problem.

I believe that OKFN should put together a group which draws together
resource material which makes the case against NC and then promotoes
this case to publishers and funders. Any aproaches to funders or
publishers could be done through IsItOpenData.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics