[okfn-br] Fwd: New crowdfunding system in the works exclusively for Free/Libre/Open resources

Everton Zanella Alvarenga everton.alvarenga em okfn.org
Terça Dezembro 18 17:14:08 UTC 2012

Parece interessante. Espero que dê certo. Quem se interessar, conte o
Aaron Wolf.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Aaron Wolf <wolftune em gmail.com>
Date: 2012/12/7
Subject: [okfn-discuss] New crowdfunding system in the works
exclusively for Free/Libre/Open resources
To: okfn-discuss em lists.okfn.org

Hi everyone,

I have been working for several months (after years of general
research and interest) on founding a new fundraising system dedicated
to Free/Open works: software, data, research, art/music, etc.

There are several things which distinguish our proposed system from
the existing platforms:

1. We will require all listed projects to accept approved Free/Open licenses

2. We are not doing one-time fund drives. We are looking to slowly
build broad communities of donors for long-term support of projects
and authors.

3. We have designed a novel mechanism to address the problems with
encouraging as many people as possible to join the community. A
simplistic explanation is: each pledge starts near zero and increases
only when more people pledge as well. Essentially, each donation is
contingent on everyone else donating; like matching funds but achieved
geometrically across everyone in the system, growing further with each
new donor.

Furthermore, we are going all the way with our ideals on this project.
It will be run cooperatively, it will have an honor system, and it
will focus on duty, freedom, and common good over calculated rewards
to individual donors.

We have a detailed proposal, a website and system in progress, and
many partially-formed ideas for how the whole thing will eventually
look and function.

At this point, we are recruiting a steering committee to help us see
the project through. We will have online discussions about the precise
policies, the details of the site, and more. There is room for anyone
supportive to be involved even if you cannot consider joining the
committee. Feedback is appreciated. We're going to get the code on
GitHub soon and are looking for extra contributors to that. We're also
networking and trying to connect to anyone sympathetic to our values
who could play any helpful part in the process.

Please let me know if you are interested in even just learning more
about the project at this stage, potentially to be involved in some
way.

The site is http://snowdrift.coop but you'll need to have me send you
a personal invitation code to access anything right now, since we
aren't public yet. We'll add a publicly accessible contact form ASAP,
but until then you could let me know how to reach you by posting here
or writing to me at aaron em wolfune.com

Cheers,
Aaron Wolf
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

--