[okfn-br] Also...

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock em okfn.org
Quinta Maio 3 02:54:34 UTC 2012

cc'ing okfn-br ...

Appreciate the english version ;-)

On 1 May 2012 23:01, Patrícia Cornils <patriciacornils em gmail.com> wrote:
> ... found a lot of data about Parati, city we are going next with Ônibus
> Hacker.
>
> I have doubts about how to work with it, there. How to make a workshop with
> people to tell that all this information is available, that they can use
> it,how to raise interest in data without floading people with data. Feels
> like weird to go to a city like coming from nowhere and "knowing" all
> this...

Suggest:

* booting an etherpad to note all the info (e.g. on okfnpad.org or
thacker pad ...)
* getting most interesting data into some spreadsheets and then
uploading to gdocs or DataHub (CSV or Excel will import automatically
to DataStore)
** Even if you do gdocs you may want to boot a dataset on DataHub for
it to record relevant info (you can also create a "group" called e.g.
Hackday Parati or Onibus Hackday Parati to list all the relevant
datasets)
** Why? Because etherpads get messy and stale very quickly -- really
hard to find things even a week later. DataHub makes this stuff more
permanent ...

Aside (@pedro): it seems to me that something that allowed you to push
an etherpad up to be notes on a DataHub dataset would be really
useful. I hear you've got an etherpad to wiki converter -- perhaps we
could re-purpose :-)

> Trying to figure out if there is a way to do a kind of "Town Game", to check
> if the data is true. There are lists of fishermen that receive a kind of
> insurance during the season they can't fish, the "defeso". Maybe ask people
> if they know someone on the list and ask them to invite him/her to tell
> about it. Maybe try to figure out if the bridge that had to be done with
> some money coming from federal government is there. I don't know.

I think games are always great.

> But I think it's like the challenges at the pad you showed me yesterday.

:-)

> It's lots of stuff... http://pad.thacker.com.br/p/dadosparati

You already have a pad, fantastic :-)

Rufus