[okfn-br] Fwd: Which e-mail service or mail transfer agent are you using/do you recommend?

Everton Zanella Alvarenga everton.alvarenga em okfn.org
Domingo Junho 30 19:08:33 UTC 2013

Pessoal,

perguntei qual serviço de e-mail usar ou agente de transporte de
e-mail para nosso domínio okfn.org.br na lista internacional da OKF.
Estou usando o Zoho Mail para o grupo de ciência aberta (domínio
cienciaaberta.net), como explicado abaixo, mas estou em dúvida no que
usar para o domínio da OKF Brasil. Estou bastante resistente em usar
serviços do Google, apesar de eu não achar que temos muita coisa para
discutir em privado. Se você tiver sugestões do que usar, por favor,
comente aqui ou na lista internacional.

Valeu,

Tom

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Everton Zanella Alvarenga <everton.alvarenga em okfn.org>
Date: 2013/6/30
Subject: Which e-mail service or mail transfer agent are you using/do
you recommend?
To: Open Knowledge Foundation discussion list
<okfn-discuss em lists.okfn.org>, Open Knowledge Foundation Local
Coordinators Mailing List <okfn-local-coord em lists.okfn.org>

Hi all,

in a PRISM times [1], I would like to know what e-mail service or mail
transfer agent (MTA) do you recommend. Definitely it is tempting to
use Google products because of its quality, but I am not sure if it is
the best option facing the actual situation of Internet.

I'm using Zoho Mail <https://www.zoho.com/mail/> for the domain
cienciaaberta.net, our local working group on open science, since we
won't have many users and it was for pragmatical purposes, but I began
to wonder what to use with our local group domain, okfn.org.br, which
we just bought.

Regarding MTA, I've tried to use Exim in an Amazon EC2 server (one
year of free hosting), but it was blocked by Amazon after a few
e-mails and I don't have time to discover the reason. I have also some
experience in using Postfix (following recipes only), which worked
fine, but to be honest, I am not sure if it is worth spend my time
managing a mail server.

That said, any suggestion on what to use? Hosting, services, MTA?
Should I worry about privacy issues here or it is too paranoid?
(Although I don't think I have anything to hide, I dislike the idea of
third parties having access to my e-mails/)

P. S. if you know of some mailing list better to ask this, please, let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

It seems EU and some European countries are included in the
surveillance http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/30/nsa-leaks-us-bugging-european-allies

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
OKFN Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre