[okfn-br] Fwd: Fair Use/Fair Dealing Handbook

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini em gmail.com
Quinta Março 21 23:06:17 UTC 2013

pode ser um recurso interessante, caso queiram saber sobre outros sistemas
pelo mundo
abs

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jonathan Band <jband em policybandwidth.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Subject: Fair Use/Fair Dealing Handbook
To: IP-ENFORCEMENT em roster.wcl.american.edu

Friends: Attached is a draft compilation of the all the fair use and fair
dealing provisions around the world. As indicated in the introduction, over
40 countries with more than a third of the world's population have fair use
or fair dealing provisions.  Moreover, many of the fair dealing provisions
have been amended (and broadened) significantly from the 1911 UK model.
Such a compilation is necessary to rebut the argument that flexible
exceptions are exotic and thus not an appropriate approach for emerging
economies.

My methodology was to look at the copyright laws of all the Commonwealth
(and former Commonwealth) countries in the WIPO database, and add in the
other fair use/fair dealing provisions I knew about.  Because I am not an
expert in British Imperial history, I suspect that there may be other
countries that were former colonies and may have fair dealing.  Also, I may
be missing other countries. So, please let me know if I am missing any
countries.

Second, I relied on the WIPO database, which may be out of date.  If you
are aware of more recent versions of the copyrights laws or the fair
use/fair dealing provisions, please let me know.

And, I of course welcome any other comments you may have.

Jonathan Band PLLC
policybandwidth
21 Dupont Circle NW
8th Floor